What's on Your Mind? is the theme for this post, and more to come. We asked all 64 of our Leadership Network book series authors to tell us what they're thinking — by answering the five questions below. To start this series of posts, here are some thoughts from Brian McLaren.
1. What big issues or concepts are you currently thinking about or working on?
My next book, “Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road,” is about Christian identity in a multi-faith world. I'm eager to explore how we can develop strong Christian identity that is not hostile towards people who don't share that identity. Which historic, doctrinal, liturgical, and missional characteristics lead towards a hostile religious identity and which lead towards a hospitable one?
2. What book are you reading right now and what are you learning from it?
I'm reading a biography of Thomas Jefferson, which is helping me understand some of the roots of current political polarization.
3. Other than the Bible, what book has been the most foundational for your ministry?
Walker Percy's The Message in the Bottle.
4. Where do you go to explore new ideas? What kind of environments inspire you?
Good music wakes up my brain, and great lectures do the same. So I like to go to places where I can hear great live music and sharp speakers speak freely.
5. Just for fun: what’s your favorite coffeehouse beverage?
Mocha is my coffeehouse indulgence.