This week's installment of “What's on Your Mind?” is with Brian Bailey. Brian is the author of the highly acclaimed field guide to blogging, The Blogging Church. He has an insatiable hunger for knowledge and unyieldingly desire to promote creativity. Join me as I ask Brian, “What's on your mind?”
1. What big issues or concepts are you currently thinking about or working on?
I spend my time thinking about ideas. I believe ideas are wonderful things that deserve to be honored and protected. There is a trend today that seems healthy, but I think is actually detrimental. It says that “It's not about ideas. It's about making ideas happen.” It says that “Anyone can come up with ideas, but only a few actually deliver and they are the only people worth listening to.”
I want to celebrate wonder and whimsy. I want to help people find joy in toying with ideas. Ideas should never be limited to what's possible.
2. What book are you reading right now and what are you learning from it?
The Gift of Rest by Senator Lieberman, a terrific book about what the Sabbath can mean in your life.
3. Other than the Bible, what book has been the most foundational for your ministry?
I greatly enjoy all of Rob Bell's writing. His books consistently challenge me to look at the things in different ways. More importantly, they inspire me to read and learn more.
4. Where do you go to explore new ideas? What kind of environments inspire you?
I try to read broadly (NYT, WSJ, The Economist, The Believer) and then follow an eclectic group of creative and curious people on Twitter who constantly introduce me to new ideas, writers, books, and apps. Environment isn't much of an issue for me; with an iPhone and Instapaper and iA Writer, I can read and write and explore ideas anywhere.
5. Just for fun: what’s your favorite coffeehouse beverage?