WEEK 7 - Ministry decisions: membership, baptism, and serving
Before You Get Started
Welcome to session 7 of the course on Leading your Church in a Time of Sexual Questioning. In session 6 we considered how help people in your church who are uncomfortable and struggling with this topic. Now in session 7 we are asking how to handle practical ministry questions in the local church around belonging such as membership, baptism and serving.
Below you will find a video that you can watch on your own or with your team, followed by your challenge for this session and discussion questions.
Blessings in Christ,
Video Seven: Ministry decisions: membership, baptism, and serving
This Week's Challenge...
- Discover your church’s approach to membership, baptism (baby dedication) and serving. Talk with a pastor not to challenge your church’s approach but to understand it.
- If you have not joined your church, been baptized as an adult believer or begun serving in your church, prayerfully consider each one. Then make a choice to join, be baptized or serve, or perhaps serve in a new role.
Discuss With Your Team...
- Why do you think belonging is such a deep issue for many people?
- Are there ways your church might inadvertently be expressing a double standard in regard to LGBT+ people in some aspect(s) of your ministries?
- Would you say your church is more high-bar or low-bar in regard to church membership?
- If you have the authority to give input into these decisions, discuss: How will you handle baptism for LGBT+ people? What about Baby dedication or baptism?
- How will you approach serving and leading opportunities for LGBT+ people?
Have any questions about this masterclass? Please contact Kate Lincoln on our support team. She’ll be happy to assist!