WEEK 6 - Leading Those Who Struggle Accepting LGBT+ People
Before You Get Started
Welcome to session 6 of the course on Leading your Church in a Time of Sexual Questioning. In session 5 we considered how to have healthy conversations around same-sex topics and people. In session 6 we shift to those who are uncomfortable talking with these topics.
Below you will find a video that you can watch on your own or with your team, followed by your challenge for this session and discussion questions.
In this session we will look at how to minister to those who struggle with accepting LGBT+ people, those who are uncomfortable.
Blessings in Christ,
Video Six: Leading Those Who Struggle Accepting LGBT+ People
This Week's Challenge...
- Talk with someone you know who is uncomfortable with LGBTQ people and/or this whole topic. In a non-judgmental way, find out why they are uncomfortable. What are their fears, especially in regard to the church welcoming gay people? Listen and seek to understand.
- Looking back over what we have covered so far in this course, prepare an outline for a short teaching for a small group or Bible Study group in your church that would help them better minister to gay people?
Discuss With Your Team...
- Put yourself in the shoes of a person very uncomfortable with this whole conversation and even the thought of LGBT+ people in their church. What might this person be thinking, feeling, fearing?
- How could you help such a person realize that we are all sinners in need of grace? Think of specific people in your church. What might you say to them to help them gain this perspective?
- What stories could you tell to help a person see and feel the pain that LGBT+ people have experienced in our culture and, more sadly, from churches and Christian people?
- How could you help people in your church see how our approach toward LGBT+ people directly impacts Christ’s mission? What might you say to cast a fresh vision for the mission of the gospel?
- What are implications of the truth that association does not convey affirmation? And how could this truth help people who are worried that we might compromise biblical truth?
- In what situations might your church need to have the courage to stand for grace, and what might be the cost?
Have any questions about this masterclass? Please contact Kate Lincoln on our support team. She’ll be happy to assist!