WEEK 3 - Same-Sex Sexuality
Before You Get Started
Welcome to session 3 of the course on Leading your Church in a Time of Sexual Questioning. Hopefully you have freshly wrestled with a biblical theology of sexuality, and its implications for our lives and ministries.
Below you will find a video that you can watch on your own or with your team, followed by your challenge for this session and discussion questions.
In this third session we move from a broad biblical theology of sexuality to exploring what God says about same-sex sexuality. This will include how five ways people today use the term “gay,” and implications of those meanings.
Blessings in Christ,
Video Three - Same-Sex Sexuality
This Week's Challenge...
- Talk with a gay person and ask them what it means to be gay. What is “gayness?” Then listen, and ask questions to understand, not to argue.
- Draw a table with two columns labeled masculinity and femininity, then list a few items in each column. Which are more culturally specific, and which do you think transcend culture
Discuss With Your Team...
- In your view, what is the church’s reputation with LGBT+ people? Why do you think that is?
- What does the Bible say, and not say, on this topic, directly? What foundational biblical teaching give guidance on this topic? What questions remain unanswered, in your view?
- Before reading this chapter, when you heard the word gay, what did it mean to you? How does your previous understanding correlate to the five ways the term gay has been currently used as described in this chapter?
- How are gender roles expressed in your church? What pictures of masculinity and femininity are communicated in your ministries and teaching?
- How do you answer the question, Can you be gay and Christian?
Have any questions about this masterclass? Please contact Kate Lincoln on our support team. She’ll be happy to assist!