Here’s a collection of interesting, thought-provoking articles from around the web from recent weeks. For more links, check out our Flipboard magazines: Leadership Network Today, Leadership Network Deep Trends, and Ideas to Implementation to Impact, where we curate the best in innovative ideas for church leaders.
1. 5 Crucial Social Media Cautions for Pastors (WillMancini.com) Do you do these 5 social media habits? Find out which ones you should stop doing now.
2. Pew: How Evangelicals Live Out Their Faith in 32 Aspects of Everyday Life (ChristianityToday) The study released today is a supplemental look at everyday religion in the United States, meant to examine how religious beliefs and practices go beyond prayer and church attendance to influence the day-to-day lives of Americans.
3. A Step-by-Step Guide to Structuring Better Meetings (HBR.org) What people are tired of is bad meetings: boring, circular, unproductive meetings. They long for valuable discussions that move the business forward. You’ll greatly improve your discussions by tailoring your meetings so that their objectives are aligned with the content, frequency, and duration of your meetings.
4. Seven Ways Church Members Should Prepare for a Sermon (ThomRainer.com) For countless decades, we have heard about the role of pastors in sermon preparation. The number of hours they need to prepare. The priority of preparation. The role of prayer in sermon preparation.But what if church members prepared for each sermon they heard? What if they believed their roles as recipients of the Word are also crucially important?
5. Underground, Overground (Economist.com) Despite harassment by police, China’s house-church movement is growing.
6. Isolation from the Church Is Dangerous (DeliveredByGrace.com) As I was considering the coyote’s hunting strategy, it occurred to me that they prey upon the isolated family pet or animal that becomes separated from its mother. Isolation is the key strategy for the coyote. As we consider the Christian life, we must be reminded that isolation is the key strategy for the devil as well.
7.The Effective Pastor: Teach the congregation how to pray. (JoeMckeever.com) 12 tips to help you teach your congregation how to pray.
8. Are Millennials Early Adopters of a Marriage-Free Future? (MarketWatch.com) There’s something going on with marriage in America. At a time when it’s available to so many, it appears to be taken seriously by so few.
9. How a Texas Church Drove Out the Predatory Loan Industry (ChristianityToday) Loan origination fees and penalty fees for non-payment are among the crippling burdens imposed on borrowers. And if a poor unfortunate really can’t repay, lenders are more than happy to offer new loans with a raft of new fees, forcing clients further and further into a debt trap that quickly proves impossible to escape.
10. We’re About to See a Mind-Blowing Demographic Shift Unprecedented in Human History (BusinessInsider) For some time now, economists have observed that the proportion of elderly adults around the world is rising, while the proportion of younger children is falling.