How to Reach More Hispanics in Your Community
Reaching Hispanics in Your Community: A Leadership Network One-Day Briefing
OVERVIEW: Get help reaching Hispanics in your community. This Leadership Network-sponsored briefing focuses on how to enlarge your church’s effectiveness in reaching and serving Hispanics/Latinos in your area. This highly practical, interactive and fast-moving program will feature a mix of presentations by front-line Hispanic pastors, Q&A with them, factoids on Hispanic demographics, and a guided process for participants to apply the day’s insights to their own settings.
Leadership Network recently sponsored a forum for Hispanic pastors of very large bilingual churches on how they’re reaching the growing demographic of Hispanics who prefer English. Many non-Hispanic pastors wanted to come, observe and learn from those leaders. In response, this new briefing is designed to do just that. It will draw on insights from pastors who are effectively reaching English-dominant Hispanics, and to a lesser degree from other churches that have launched strong Spanish-language ministries.
The overall impact of the day will be to give your church practical ideas drawn from leading examples of how to strengthen your church's efforts in evangelizing and discipling the Hispanics/Latinos in your community.
WHO CAN COME: Anyone -- whatever your role in church (volunteer or staff), whatever your church size, and whether you're just starting Hispanic ministry or your church is multiethnic already. We encourage you to send a team or come in groups (group discounts available).
WHEN: Monday November 11, 2013, 9am to 3pm.
WHERE: Christ Fellowship Church, 2801 Orchid Drive, McKinney, TX 75070, some 30 miles northeast of DFW airport.
LANGUAGE: All presenters will communicate in English.
SCHEDULE: Most sessions will include audience Q&A. Some speakers are in-person, some by live video.
- Session 1: Hispanic in America (Leadership Network CEO Dave Travis on how the country is changing)
- Session 2: Models for Multilingual, Multigenerational Hispanic Congregations (Professor Daniel Rodriguez, author of A Future for the Latino Church)
- Session 3: What I Learned by Listening to Hispanic Pastors (Leadership Network Research Director Warren Bird on various approaches by non-Hispanic churches)
- Session 4: Advice to Non-Hispanic Churches (Choco "Jesus" De Wilfredo, Senior Pastor, New Life Covenant, Chicago, IL, one of the nation's largest bilingual churches)
- Session 5: Case Study #1 (Steve Coronado, Senior Pastor, Solid Rock Church, Corpus Christi, TX)
- Lunch (provided)
- Session 6: Case Study #2 (Roberto Tejada, Spanish-campus pastor, Karina Tejada, translator, Life Center Church, Tacoma, WA)
- Session 7: Case Study #3 (Jaime Loya, Senior Pastor, Valley Int'l Christian Church, San Benito, TX)
- Session 8: Your Action Steps (group debrief)
OTHER HELP: For a large collection of stats, trends, profiles of churches, relevant books, etc., see www.leadnet.org/hispanic .
QUESTIONS: Contact Stephanie Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org