Posted on 5/16/2012 by Greg Ligon in the Learnings Blog
This week's installment of "What's on Your Mind?" is with George Cladis. George is the author of Leading the Team-Based Church, Assistant Professor in the Doctor of Ministry program of Fuller Theological Seminary and serves as Executive Pastor of Liberty Churches in the Boston metro area.
1. What big issues or concepts are you currently thinking about or working on?
The biggest issue I'm working on is increasing our number of campuses (multi-site church) where the church facility doubles during the week as an workforce training center. We've been successful with our pilot in Worcester, MA and we are creating the duplication model now.
2. What book are you reading right now and what are you learning from it?
A. To build something truly innovative you have to be 100% committed and prepared for disappointment.
B. You can come back after a colossal failure (he was fired from Apple; then returned).
C. The San Francisco peninsula was, and continues to be, a mecca for scrappy entrepreneurs (I grew up there and attended Peninsula Bible Church with Ray Stedman -- who taught me the beginnings of team-based ministry with his book Body Life).
D. Your brand (Apple) can be totally unrelated to your product (computers).
E. Make something cool.
F. Do temperamental, irritable, relationally deficient, rude, cruel even,and terrible-to-children (Lisa) people always finish first?
3. Other than the Bible, what book has been the most foundational for your ministry?
4. Where do you go to explore new ideas? What kind of environments inspire you?
I agree with Len Sweet: The Mountain, the Desert, and the Sea. Lately it's been the Mountain.
5. Just for fun: what’s your favorite coffeehouse beverage?
Black, unsweetened coffee...BOLD!